Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Parks

Shelter Rules & Information

Shelter Reservations

  • A Shelter Reservation is a permit to reserve a shelter in the Dane County Park System. Shelter fees must be paid prior to use of a Park facility. Please visit our Fees webpage for more information.
  • To reserve a park facility, including a campsite or shelter, you must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Shelter reservations must be made at least 2 days in advance. Due to limited parking availability, groups exceeding 100 people at Brigham, Festge, or Goodland County Parks must reserve both shelters.
  • A staff cell phone number will be included with the reservation card posted at the shelter. Please feel free to contact staff with questions or problems.
  • To reserve shelters for groups over 150 people, you must contact the Parks Office at (608) 224-3730.
  • Cancellation & Change Policy

When making a shelter reservation, please have the following information:

  • Arrival date, park and shelter number
  • Number of people who will attend
  • If there will be special needs and accommodations such as a tent or catering, porta-potties, extra trash containers, etc. Some events require a certificate of insurance to cover certain activities.
  • If alcohol will be consumed by and your group contains 25 or more people
  • If amplified music/sound will be played (see definition below)
  • Type of event (family reunion, work picnic, wedding reception, etc.)

Rules, Regulations and Information

  • Shelter hours are from 10 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. (note that special arrangements may be made for earlier check-in). The park closes at 10 p.m.
  • A shelter reservation entitles your group to exclusive use of the designated shelter building and immediate area. The general public may use the restrooms. Other facilities such as ball diamonds, play areas, horseshoe pits, and tennis courts are for use on a first-come first-served basis with a one hour time limit if another group or individual is waiting. Shelters must be vacated by 9:30 p.m.
  • An Alcohol Beverage Permit is required for all gatherings of 25 or more people where alcohol is being consumed and may be obtained from the Parks Office, Park Manager, or Ranger on duty. Permits may only be obtained by persons age 21 or over.
  • Amplified music/sound is defined as music/sound whose volume is increased by any electronic, mechanical, or motor-powered means; this includes radio/boom box, DJ, band, microphone, or sound system. Acoustical music is not considered amplified.
    • Amplified music/ sound will not exceed 100 decibels (dB) at the sound board or 250’ from the amplification source. 
  • Some shelters have drinking fountains and/or water spigots.  If you have specific water needs and/or questions about water availability please call the Parks Office at (608) 224-3730.
  • Trash containers will be provided and additional garbage bags or containers are available by contacting the Park Manager. No commercial or household waste is allowed. All trash must be removed from the park or deposited in appropriate containers.
  • For picnic tables and tents and special equipment (ex. chairs, tables, play equipment) please view the General Rules & Information webpage for additional rules and information.
  • Law enforcement problems should be reported to Park Staff or to the Dane County Sheriff's Office. Call (608) 255-2345 for non-emergencies and 911 for emergencies.