Capital City Trail Pavement Restoration
Dane County Parks is undertaking the first major upgrade to the Capital City State Trail since its completion in 2000 by repaving the original 9.5 miles of trail from Nob Hill Road to Verona Road to improve both ride and safety. The project is anticipated to be completed in three phases in three years, 2018-2020. Phase one was completed in 2018 and phases two and three are anticipated to follow in consecutive years.
Phase 1 – Nob Hill Road to Glacier Valley Road
Project Status: Completed, OPEN.
Dane County was awarded a $45,000 Recreational Trails Program grant and a $245,000 Stewardship Grant from the DNR for 6.5 miles of trail restoration on phase one from Nob Hill Road to Glacier Valley Road. Payne and Dolan was awarded the Bid of $948,200 for phase one. The restoration work included culvert replacements, gravel base and shoulder restoration, milling/pulverizing existing asphalt and new asphalt resurfacing, ADA compliant detectable warning panels at crossings, centerline striping, and signage updates with the implementation of the Capital City Trail Wayfinding Plan.
Phase 2 – Fish Hatchery Road to Seminole Highway
Project Status: Planning
Anticipated Schedule: Construction in 2019.
Restoration work will include asphalt replacement, gravel shoulder restoration, replacement of nine springs creek crossing and 90-degree turn straightening, ADA compliant detectable warning panels at crossings, centerline striping, solar light delineator replacement, and signage updates. Dane County was awarded a $146,000 Recreational Trail Program grant from the DNR for trail restoration from Fish Hatchery Road to Seminole Highway.
Phase 3 – Seminole Highway to Verona Road
Project Status: Planning
Anticipated Schedule: Construction in 2020.
Scope: Pavement restoration work will address drainage improvements and existing flooding issues at the Dunn’s Marsh Bike Roundabout. Dane County is working with other municipalities to assess the problem and to identify funding for this portion of the project. Updates will be added as the project develops.
- Capital City Trail Restoration Phases (PDF)
- Capital City Trail Tree Work Alternative Routes (PDF)
- Online Bicycle Mapping from the Madison Area Transportation Planning Board (MPO):
- 2/6/2019 Selective Tree Removals along Capital City Trail Begin This Month
- 11/26/18 Capital City Trail Open - Pavement Restoration Project Complete (Phase 1)
- 8/31/18 Capital City Trail Status and Dane County Parks Flooding Update
- 8/21/18 Capital City Trail Closed Due to Storm Damage
- 6/27/18 Capital City Trail to Close for Major Improvements
- 4/13/18 Capital City Trail to Get Major Improvements Over Summer
Dane County Parks Division
5201 Fen Oak Drive
Madison, WI 53718